Responsible for managing the media department, including media buying and planning initiatives. Devises plans for media buying, places ads, and ensures ad buying stays within budget.
• Attend strategy meetings and brainstorm on media buying initiatives and suggestions.
• Discuss projects with clients.
• Manage media department.
• Train and supervise media department employees.
• Coordinate launch of media campaigns with marketing, communications, and sales departments.
• Decide how best way to communicate message.
• Keep abreast of industry figures, including distribution and audience figures.
• Monitor buying strategies.
• Monitor and optimize effectiveness of campaigns.
• Build relationships with media sales companies.
• Negotiate rates with media sales companies to obtain most competitive prices.
• Find a combination of media that will enable the marketer to communicate the message.
• Buy advertising space in magazines or newspapers.
• Purchase advertising time on radio.
• Collect information about the kinds of audiences that can be reached by the different media and the approximate size of those audiences.
• Use a combination of several different kinds of media to reach different audiences.
• Gain client approval for each campaign phase.
• Work with media sales workers employed by newspapers, magazines, cable services, and radio and television stations.
• Track down and buy space in print publications or television markets.
• Resell space to advertising agencies.
• Recommend which days and times ads should run.